Thank you for your interest in student organizations at UWRF! Students like yourself make campus a vibrant and welcoming atmosphere for students to grow and learn. Explore below to find resources to assist you in successfully managing your student organization. Have questions, contact us at

1. Forming and Renewing Student Organizations

UWRF is home to over 100 student organizations spanning diverse interests, academic majors, beliefs and hobbies. For a complete directory of student organizations click here. The topics listed below provide resources for student organization advisers and student leaders. Still can't find a student organization for you? Find three friends and create your own! You'll need to meet the minimum requirements below to start a student organization. 

Minimum Requirements:

  • Complete the new student organization application, including a constitution and set of bylaws.
  • The organization must consist of at least four members and three-quarters of your members must be students enrolled at UWRF.
  • Find a UWRF faculty or staff member to be your adviser.
  • Extend membership and all membership privileges, including voting and eligibility to hold office, to all UWRF students

Each student organization has different needs and expectations of their officers and adviser. When transitioning officers within your student organization it is critical that the new leadership team and adviser have reached consensus regarding these needs and expectations. Use the following checklists as a way to begin a discussion with outgoing student organization leaders, incoming officers and your adviser about the responsibilities and expectations of each party.

Student Leader-Adviser Worksheet

This worksheet is to intended to assist in identifying expectations of advisers and student leaders. The worksheet should be filled out by the adviser and each officer within a student organization. Once all parties have filled out the worksheet they should meet to share and compare answers and discuss differences.

Officer Transition Checklist

Most successful student organizations implement some form of officer transition program. The Officer Transition Checklist should be used in addition to overlapping officer terms by at least one month so that new officers have the opportunity to work closely with outgoing officers. Any questions regarding officer transitions can be directed to the Office of Student Involvement.

Recalling Officers

If you are having concerns about your organization’s officers, please contact the Office of Student Involvement to discuss your concerns. Officers may be recalled from office for cause. To initiate a recall election the following steps must occur:

  1. A petition signed by one third of the organization’s active members must be submitted to the organization adviser and one other executive member before the next regular meeting to have it included on an agenda for a “first reading.” 
  2. The officer subject to recall must be given written notice 24 hours prior to the “first reading” and shall be given an opportunity to provide a defense at that time.
  3. Following the “first reading," a recall vote shall then be taken at the next regular meeting. A two-thirds vote is required to remove an officer. All active members must be notified of this prior to the night of the vote.

If the position of President becomes vacant as the result of resignation, ineligibility or recall, the Vice President shall assume the office of President. Vacancies in any other elected office shall be filled by an election held at the next regular meeting. Nominations may be made any time after the vacancy is announced. The President may appoint an interim officer to fill the vacancy until the election is held. 

Some organizations have been moved to an "inactive" state. The following are a few reasons an organization could be considered an inactive group and found on the list below:

  • The organization has registered in the past seven years, but did not renew their organization last year
  • The organization was not in good standing at the end of the last academic year
  • The organization was dissolved by the student members.

If you wish to reactive an organization, you will need to fill out the form below to re-activate the organization. You should do this instead of registering a new organization for the following reasons:

  • You just have to review the existing constitution/bylaws and make updates instead of creating a new one.
  • You would get all of the history of the organization in MyOrgs (events, documents, etc).
  • Re-activating an inactive organization reduces time-wasting redundancies for you and the Student Government Association.

Request to Re-Activate a Student Organization Form

Adviser Recognition: We encourage student organizations to nominate their outstanding Student Organization Adviser! Please email with your adviser's name and reasons they are a great adviser.

2. Student Organization Policies

The University of Wisconsin-River Falls (UWRF) is committed to academic freedom and freedom of expression. Students have the right to freedom of speech, peaceable assembly, petition and association. This includes the right of students through student organizations to examine questions of interest to them, to express opinions publicly and privately and to support their opinions and causes in a lawful manner that does not disrupt university operations or violate university policy.

As with any right, the right of freedom of expression comes with responsibility. For instance, students have the right to express their views, but not necessarily the right to say anything, any time, or in any place. The University may place reasonable time, place and manner restrictions on that expression. Freedom of expression does not protect students from the consequences of behavior or conduct that violates UWRF policies (including those that prohibit harassment or disruption of classes or other university activities).

At UWRF, “inclusiveness” is a Falcon value, and that means that we value diversity in people and ideas. Statements that demean and exclude members of our Falcon community are contrary to that value. While the University refrains from restricting the exchange of ideas and viewpoints (even those that are offensive or disagreeable), it does not mean the University condones, supports or agrees with all ideas expressed. While students have the right to express their views, others have the right to challenge those views by expressing a different perspective. Freedom of expression does not mean freedom from criticism.

Student Involvement staff and student organization advisors are committed to upholding freedom of expression. Student organizations with questions should contact their adviser or

In addition, the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents Policy Document 4-21, “Commitment to Academic Freedom and Freedom of Expression” applies to all UW System students, employees and visitors. This policy contains provisions addressing “violent or other disorderly misconduct that materially and substantially disrupt[s] the free expression of others.”

If your organization is inviting guests to campus who are under the age of 18, you will have to be trained as a mandated reporter per Executive Order #54. EO #54 requires UW System employees and students who work with youth to immediately report child abuse or neglect. Thoroughly follow the process below to ensure that you are an informed Mandated Reporter. If you have questions on whether you need to be a Mandated Reporter contact Risk Management.

  • Step 1: Click here and complete the Mandated Reporter (Executive Order #54) online training. Read the information and then click the blue "Begin" button on the bottom right of the page.  Please note that training will take approximately 45 minutes.
  • Step 2: When you have finished the training, upload the Mandated Reporter Proof of Completion form to MyOrgs.

It is very important that you complete this training and quiz.  It is mandated within the state of Wisconsin to protect the minors we interact with.  Additionally please note that if you have completed this training once as a student organization participant, you do not need to complete it again.

The Office of Student Involvement is committed to preventing all forms of sexual misconduct, including sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, stalking and sexual harassment. Any complaint of sexual harassment or sexual violence can be directed to this link. For general Title IX information, please visit this page.

The following policy addresses some commonly asked questions regarding political activity on campus.  Please contact the Office of Student Involvement regarding any questions you may have which are not addressed in this policy. For a full list of state policies surrounding political activity on campus, please view the following document here

Can a student organization plan a political event to be hosted on campus?

Political events can be sponsored by student organizations under certain circumstances, but any student organization planning such an event is encouraged to contact the Office of Student Involvement to ensure their event falls within UW System policy.  Non-partisan events are acceptable under UW system policy and are encouraged.  Events such as campus tours for candidates, open forums with candidates and debates would all be considered non-partisan political events.

Can a student organization fundraise for a political candidate on campus?

No. State law Wis. Stat. § 11.1207 prohibits the use of state owned buildings for political fundraising.  This means that on-campus fundraising cannot be political in nature.

Can student organizations use their Student Government Association Finance Committee funding to contribute to or advertise for a political campaign or candidate?

No. UW System policy states student organizations may not use the Finance Committee funding to make contributions, gifts or donations of any kind to a political campaign or candidate. While donations of any kind to a political campaign are prohibited, student organizations can use their Finance Committee funding to produce political promotional materials being displayed on-campus. Any questions about the appropriate use of segregated fees should be referred to the Office of Student Involvement Budget Coordinator.

Can student organizations urge students to vote?  What about voting for a particular political party or candidate?

Yes. Student organizations can encourage students to vote and inform students about upcoming elections. Additionally, student organizations can also encourage students to vote for a particular party or candidate. Please note, UW System policy prohibits the use of state-owned buildings or Finance Committee budget funds for political fundraising, so while you may encourage students to vote in a particular manner you cannot fundraise for any candidate. If you have any questions if your event is in violation of this policy, please discuss your idea with the Office of Student Involvement.

Can campaigning be done in the Residence Halls?

Individuals who wish to campaign in the residence halls, whether representing Hall Council, RHA, Student Senate, Town of River Falls or State of Wisconsin, must adhere to the following procedure. Any individual running in an election will have the opportunity to utilize hall main lobbies to present their viewpoints by discussion or materials following approval by the Department of Residence Life. The manner of presentation must not interfere with the flow of traffic, not constitute harassment to residents and must be done in a reasonable fashion so that the information/discussion is conducted on a voluntary basis with student residents.

The Office of Student Involvement supports and enforces the UW System policy in regards to alcohol use at student organization events. Student Involvement requires that any event that will provide alcohol be approved by the Associate Director of Student Involvement. Please contact the Office of Student Involvement to visit about events serving alcohol at least 30 days prior to the event. Please review the UW System and UW-River Falls policies below regarding alcohol and student organizations.

Overview/Background: UWS 18.09
UW-River Falls Administrative Policy: Alcoholic Beverages on Campus
UW-River Falls Administrative Policy: Alcohol and Tobacco Sponsorships

Off-Campus Alcohol Procedures

Student Organizations may plan an event where alcohol is served to individuals of the appropriate age and in accordance with state and federal laws. While such events pose inherent risks, the Office of Student Involvement understands that events can take place where alumni, parents and family, etc. can participate and alcohol can be present.

The Office of Student Involvement requires any organization planning to host an event where alcohol is served either by members of the organization or by a third-party vendor (i.e.- banquet hall, UW-River Falls, local restaurant or bar) submit necessary paperwork at least 10 days prior to an event taking place. Once submitted, forms will be reviewed and either approved or denied by the Office of Student Involvement. Any event that takes place without an approved application is subject to disciplinary action by the Office of Student Involvement and Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards. Please note that a copy of the vendor's liquor license and proof of insurance, as well as a guest list, will be required with all alcohol applications. Links to necessary forms are provided below:

Hosting an Event at an Organization Member's Residence/Facility: Click Here
Hosting an Event with a Third Party Vendor

Please note any student organization planning an event where alcohol is served off-campus is expected to understand and uphold the off-campus alcohol and drug policies.

Purpose of Mascot

The purpose of the UWRF mascot, Freddy Falcon, is to promote UWRF spirit at all times. The mascot should strive to motivate, inspire and entertain Falcon fans and students. Please note that violating the purpose of the mascot or performing in Freddy in any way which may hinder the image of UWRF is prohibited. To request Freddy, email 

Mascot Rules

The following guidelines will be enforced and must be followed while "mascoting" within Freddy the Falcon:

  • While portraying Freddy, mascots cannot speak.
  • The full Freddy uniform must be in place at all times in public.
  • Performances must be kept appropriate and family-friendly at all times. Please note that other people, including children, are looking at you as an extension of the UWRF brand.
  • You must provide a designated person to wear the Freddy costume and another to guide this person.

Mascots other than Freddy the Falcon

Using mascots other than Freddy the Falcon to represent your student organization is strictly prohibited. This includes using another mascot on printed materials, t-shirts or student organization gear. If you have questions regarding the use of the Falcon head or the Freddy Falcon mascot please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

Please note if your student organization plans to use the Falcon, Freddy, the UWRF logo or even the words UWRF or the University of Wisconsin-River Falls on t-shirts or other advertisements, they must submit for approval through University Communications and Marketing (UCM) and provide the art that is to be printed in a viewing .PDF or .JPEG so staff can view it before approval.  

Please remember that anything with the UWRF logo or language on it must be appropriate because it is representing the University. University Communications and Marketing has an office located in the University Center that can assist with this process. Please email for additional assistance. 

Graphics Consultations: Graphics consultations are held in the Involvement Center. To sign up, complete the Marketing and Graphics Request Form.

Apparel: River City Stitch is a local printing company and can assist your organization in creating a variety of materials including apparel, caps and hats and promotional items. When creating apparel for your org, please keep in mind that you must use a Licensed Vendor if you use any wordmarks/logos or words related to UW-River Falls. To see what other items River City Stitch offers, visit

Printed Promotional Items: If you would like posters, handouts or any other printed items to promote meetings or events you can use our on-campus printer Fast Copy. Use the online form to order printed items. If you go through UCM, they will provide you with files ready for the printer.

3. Student Organization Procedures and Guidelines

Why should my organization reserve a space?
We encourage all student organizations to reserve a space for planned student organization events as it helps us provide the proper support for student activities.

How can my organization reserve a space?
Event space, meeting space or vendor table space reservations requests can be made in a variety of different ways. A Recognized Student Organization officer may log into the space scheduling software and enter space requests directly into the system. Anyone in a Recognized Student Organization may fill out the space use request form here Another option is to email for any questions about space use on campus or stop by in-person at the University Center Information desk to talk to a reservations coordinator.

For more help in planning and hosting your event, please see the event planning timeline. As always, reach out to the Office of Student Involvement with any questions!

Reserving a meeting/event or vendor space

All recognized student organizations are eligible to reserve spaces on campus. Decisions about reservations are solely based on neutral and objective requirements and criteria in the Use of Facilities policy, the procedures referenced below and specific building reservation policies. Review these policies and follow the procedures below to ensure that your space reservation is successful. All reservation requests that comply with the written guidelines will be approved without consideration of the content or viewpoint of the expression so long as the space is available at the time requested.  

Important Notes:

  • New for 2022 - 2023,  Pricing for event services: Fees in the University Center have been updated to make using the facility more accessible to recognized student organizations through the Segregated Fees paid by all UWRF students. The UC Ballroom and the Falcon's Nest spaces are now set at reduced and fixed rates inclusive of room fees and base equipment and labor. Additionally, University Center audio/visual and event equipment and associated labor is available to recognized student organizations at no charge. However, student organizations may be charged when equipment and/or services must be provided from a source outside of the University Center.
  • Special fees: Organizations using facilities may incur charges for set up, supervision, equipment, space or other fees depending on the scope and nature of the event. Special cleaning or damage fees may be incurred. Review the space reservation confirmation and or invoice for details.
  • Ongoing Reservations: The maximum number of times an organization or department may reserve a meeting room for "ongoing, week-to-week use" is three times per week. University Center staff reserves the right to change ongoing reservations room assignments in the event unforeseen circumstances. University Center staff will work with groups involved to find an equal/better space and generally will not move a reservation without prior notice. Changes to ongoing reservation room assignments will be made without consideration of the content or viewpoint of the expression involved in the ongoing reservation event. 
  • Food ordering: If food and beverages are being ordered from Chartwells for the event, contact the Catering Manager and view your various catering optionsNote: Recognized student organizations are allowed to provide pre-packaged and/or prepared and delivered food (no homemade items) and non-alcoholic beverages in connection with authorized meetings or events held in the University Center as long as the total value does not exceed $100. (Plan to provide receipts for UC Building Manager review at your meeting or event)
  • Receive and review confirmation: The Reservations Office will confirm all reservations via email. Each confirmation will include audio/visual/technical needs and room set up information. Note: Reservations confirmations will include prices listed as estimates and you will be billed the actual amount approximately two weeks after the event takes place. It is your responsibility to determine if the facility reservation is correct and complete.  

Reserving Large Spaces for an Event
If you are holding a large scale event and would like to reserve large indoor or outdoor spaces on campus, please be sure to follow the steps below.

Riverside Ballroom, Falcon's Nest: Request space using one of the methods listed above a minimum of 90 days prior to your event date.  

  1. The room reservation will remain in tentative status until the group meets with reservations staff to discuss and finalize event details. Reservation finalized details must be received at least 30 days prior to the event date.
  2. Reservations will confirm all reservation requests and send out confirmations via email. Please review all confirmations to ensure all details are correct.  

Outdoor Spaces:

  1. Submit a request at least three days prior to your event date by emailing Reservations or submitting the BPLogix web form here.
  2. Once you receive the final confirmation, review it and ensure all details are correct. Contact Reservations regarding any errors or questions.
  3. Please read the informational sign posted at each of the UWRF bonfire pits to ensure a safe event.

Graphic Help: Did you know, we have a marketing and graphic department which can support your organization? Click Here for the UWRF Student Organization Marketing info sheet. Request graphics help by completing this form.

There are several different ways that your student organization can advertise, recruit and market at UWRF. Regardless of the type, all advertising must include the following information: 
•    Name of the organization
•    Date(s) of the event
•    Contact information/location 

Prohibited: The following is not allowed on student organization advertisements.
•    Use of profanity or implications of sexual, racial or other harassment
•    Promoting the use of alcohol or other drugs
•    Hateful and/or degrading language

Restrictions: If you plan to use the university name or any UWRF logo while advertising, please review the UWRF Licensing Page or reach out to  

Below are some of the ways you can get the word out about your student organization. If you have any questions please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

Digital Signage: Utilize the “big TV screens” in the UC and put your graphic up on digital signage by using this form. For a list of posting guidelines, see the building amenities page. If questions, email

Posters: Marketing and Graphics can help student organizations with the creation of posters. Additionally, when hanging posters be sure to follow the regulations below:

  • Residence Halls: All materials posted in the Residence Halls must be no larger than 11"x17". Bring 11 copies of your organization's poster to the Residence Life Office in the basement of Hathorn Hall for approval. Promotional materials will be then posted by Residence Life staff on a space-available basis. Students and/or student organizations cannot hang posters in the Residence Halls without prior approval.
  • Academic Buildings: Bulletin boards that are not labeled for a specific department are available for university-related postings. Each specific college has different posting procedures. Please visit the dean or department office in each college prior to hanging posters in the academic buildings.
  • University Center: The University Center has a several public posting areas near and around the Involvement Center.  Any student organization may post their materials in these areas. Additionally, the Involvement Center calendar is open for student organizations to post events. Postings on the calendar must meet the guidelines below:
    • Be no larger than 11"x17" in size. 
    • Must be a one time event (no weekly meetings).
    • The event must be open to all students..
  • Table Tents: (4x6) cards placed in the plastic table tent holders throughout the UC. Can also be used as a small handout to promote your event. Space for tents is reserved via the UCM Marketing  and Graphics Department.

If there are any questions regarding posting in the University Center please visit the Office of Student Involvement or the Information Desk for assistance.

Vendor Tables

Vendor tables are a great way to market an event or recruit membership to your student organization, they can be used to:

  • Sell tickets to upcoming events
  • Sell organization apparel
  • Promote upcoming event
  • Market and recruit for your student organization

Event space, meeting space or vendor table space reservations requests can be made in a variety of different ways.  A Recognized Student Organization officer may log into the space scheduling software and enter space requests directly into the system. Anyone in a Recognized Student Organization may fill out the space use request form here Please email for any questions about space use on campus or stop by in person at the University Center Information desk to talk to a reservations coordinator. When tabling, follow the solicitation policy of the University Center listed below:

  • Group are not allow to approach students or others using University Center facilities. This applies to material for sale, materials being given away (handed out) and verbal conversations aimed at persuading students to a particular point-of-view. If you have questions regarding this policy please contact the Office of Student Involvement or the University Center Building Manager.

Residence Life Tabling Policy: Designated members of approved campus organizations may utilize hall main lobbies to present their viewpoints by discussion or materials following approval by the Department of Residence Life. A member of the organization must be present at the table while the materials are being distributed. Recognized student organizations may reserved lounges in specific residence halls for informational meetings, candidate meetings or presentations. Questions can be directed to

Please note that solicitation in the residence halls is not permitted.


Chalking is a great way to promote your event to students navigating campus. All chalking must be appropriate in content and include the name of the organization, date(s) of event and contact information and/or location. Chalk can be checked out from the University Center Information Desk.

Please note that chalking is only permitted in designated areas on campus. The designated area is on the main campus mall extending from 3rd Street to 6th Street.  Any chalking done outside of approved areas will be removed and the organization(s)/individual(s) responsible may face disciplinary sanctions. The graphic and notes below further explain where acceptable chalking can occur.

  • Chalking is NOT allowed on the sides of the patio entrances to the University Center.
  • Chalking is NOT allowed on the patios of the University Center..
  • Chalking is NOT allowed on the side wall face of the University Center.

The timeline below should be used as a guide to help your student organization plan and execute large scale events. Please note that the timeline might have to be varied depending on the scale and scope of the event. If you have any questions regarding event planning please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

90 Days before the event:

60 Days before the event:

  • Develop a marketing plan for your event.
  • Using vendor tables to market your event? Schedule promo/vendor tables with Reservations.
  • Meet with Marketing and Graphics in the Involvement Center to design promotional materials.

30 Days before the event:

  • If you plan to seek funds for your event from Student Senate, submit a funding request a minimum of 30 days before the event.
  • Finalize all event details with Reservations.
  • Serving food at your event? Order food from Chartwells Catering.
  • Print promotional products through Fast Copy.
  • Submit public performance rights to Reservations if you are showing a movie.

15 Days before the event:

  • Determine volunteer needs and create a sign up.
  • Confirm any food orders through Chartwells Catering.
  • Distribute advertising to public posting locations on campus.
  • Send detailed script and instruction to Production Services if more than one act is performing.

Week of Event:

  • Confirm facility set up with Reservations.
  • Confirm any production needs with Production Services.
  • Create Day-of-Event Itinerary.
  • On the day of the event check in and check out with the University Center Building manager or appropriate contact.

RSO Attendance Tracking

Event and meeting attendance tracking is optional.  If you would like to track attendance using the MyOrgs attendance tracking app, find the "how to" here: Virtual Attendance Guide (

If your organization plans to travel to a location off-campus (outside of Pierce or St. Croix counties) there are a few things you should know: 

  • Student organizations are generally not considered on “university business” when traveling and are most often only covered by a student's personal insurance. 
  • Register your off-campus event or meeting here: 
  • Transportation funding or reimbursement: If being reimbursed for transportation costs, it must come from another funding source and cannot come from an “Annual Budget” or “Single Event Funding” via the Finance committee (FC). FC no longer covers “transportation” funding of any kind. 
  • Personal Vehicles: You may choose to use a member’s personal vehicle to travel to your destination. Please note that when using your personal vehicle you are only covered by your personal insurance.
  • When using a personal vehicle, please visit
  • Rental Vehicles or UW-River Falls Fleet Vehicles: Students must be agents of the university to be eligible to drive a UW-River Falls fleet vehicle or rent under the business use contract. To be an agent of the university, you must have three things:
    • Travel purpose must be related to an academic course, degree, or professional certification
    • Co-sponsored event with the University
    • Under the direction and control of University

To rent a vehicle or schedule a fleet vehicle you must:

  • Have an approved Vehicle Use Agreement on file.
  • Have written Authorization from faculty or management stating the University business for the use.
  • You must remain in the scope of "university business" while driving the vehicle.
  • See the UW System policy for specific examples of when you may or may not be an agent of the University. Not being an agent will require students to take the insurance for coverage in a rental vehicle or be responsible for any collision, comprehensive and/or liability damages . UW-River Falls fleet use is prohibited for non-business use.
  • All Students driving a fleet vehicle or rental vehicle must review Policy SYS 616: University of Wisconsin Student Drivers Under the State’s Liability Protection | UW Policies
  • Airfare: If your organization is interested in airfare, please note that you must purchase it through the university. For any questions, please email

If your organization is bringing a performer, speaker or service provider to campus and is planning to pay them, a contract will need to be created. Contracts ensure that an agreement is made between the guest and the University regarding payment, liability and service details. A member of the student organization will need to create a Purchase Request by going to your MyOrgs portal, click “Finance” from the left dropdown menu, click “Create Request” and then click “Create Purchase Request.” This form will also provide a link to complete a “Pre-Contract Worksheet.” Please do this at least 30 days prior to the event. This form will have all the information the Student Involvement Budget Coordinator will need to begin the contract process and request the payment. Most faculty and staff on campus are not authorized as Delegated Authorities to sign contracts (including agreements, memorandums of understanding, purchase orders, memorandums of agreement, etc.) Therefore, the Director of the University Center must sign contracts for student organizations.

If your student organization is bringing a performer, speaker or service provider and is not paying them, the volunteer must fill out the Volunteer Agreement Form

Providing food at your Student Organzation meeting:

If you are meeting in the University Center, here are the University Center guidelines per the University Center Policy and Procedure manual:

  • Recognized student organizations will be allowed to provide pre-packaged and/or prepared and delivered food (no homemade items) and non-alcoholic beverages in connection with authorized meetings and events held in the University Center as long as the total value does not exceed $100.
  • If the total value exceeds $100, the Recognized Student Organization is required to cater the event through the food service contractor via
  • If you are not meeting in the University Center, you will need to follow the food policy/procedures for whatever building or space you’re meeting in. If you are unsure of the building's policies, please check with the academic department associated with the room in which you're meeting.

Selling food as part of a fundraiser for your Student Organization:

  • The below Food Stand information can be found under “Fundraising” within our Student Organization Handbook
    • Food stands are frequently used by UWRF student organizations. While this is an effective fundraising activity, it is very important that your organization know and follow proper processes and procedures related to food stands. Please thoroughly review the process below to ensure a successful food stand!
  • Step 1: In order to host a temporary food stand, one organization representative must take and pass the Food Stand Quiz with a score of at least 90% one time per year. This representative is expected to then provide guidance to other members who prepare and/or staff the food stand.  
  • Step 2: Complete the Food Stand Application. This application must be filled out by the person who took and passed the Food Safety Quiz and must be submitted at least 14 days before the food stand. Organizations are limited to three food stands per year. If you are wishing to have more than three food stands per year, your organization must work with Pierce County Public Health to obtain a Temporary Food Stand Permit.
  • Step 3: Once the Food Stand Application is submitted the Office of Student Involvement will review the application. Please note a lack of detailed answers may result in denial of the application. The Office of Student Involvement will then notify the student organization if their application has been approved or denied. If the application is approved, a copy of the Food Stand Application will be emailed to the president of the hosting student organization. If the food being served is required to maintain a specific temperature, a Food Temperature Recording Chart will also be emailed to you.
  • Step 4: Pick up a food safety kit from the Information Desk located in the University Center on the day of the food stand. Additionally, the Food Stand Application must be on display at all times during the food stand.
  • Step 5: The Food Temperature Recording Chart must be completed and turned back in to the University Center Campus Information Desk within 14 academic days after the completion of the food stand. Failure to do so will result in the loss of food stand privileges for your organization for one year.

RSO Event Catering Exemption Request

If you would like to bring outside catering to your large-scale event within the University Center, you'll need to request a catering exemption if you aren't going to use Chartwells catering services. To complete a request, please fill out the form found here:

4. Funding and Fundraising

There are two different ways that you can request funding for your student organization. First, your student organization can develop a budget and request Annual Funding through the Finance Committee (FC). If your student organization does not qualify to receive annual funding, you can still request Single - Event Funding. Both of these options are explained in more detail below. If you have further questions about funding for your student organization, please contact the Office of Student Involvement

Annual Funding

If your organization is looking for funding for events, conferences and supplies throughout an entire academic year, you can apply for Annual Funding. The Student Government Association Finance Committee (FC) reviews requests and distributes funding to organizations using money collected from every student through Segregated Fees.  

To be eligible for funding for the following academic year, an organization must meet these requirements:

  • Membership in the organization must be open to the entire student body.
  • Events included in an organization's Annual Budget request must be open to all students. 
  • The organization must have a representative attend Annual Budget Training held mid-fall semester.
  • The organization must submit their Annual Budget Request via their organization's MyOrgs portal by 11:59 p.m. on the designated date during spring semester.
  • The organization must have a representative attend a 5-minute Annual Budget Hearing with the FC to discuss the organization's request

Please note that the FC does not fund items such as fundraisers for the organization, items that will be kept by organization members (e.g. t-shirts, books, etc.), individual meals for members during travel, transportation, prizes, awards, credit producing programs/activities, etc.

For more information about Annual Funding, please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

Single Event Funding

If your organization is looking for funding for one-time events, conferences and supply purchases, they can apply for Single-Event Funding. The Student Government Association Finance Committee (FC) reviews requests and distributes funding to organizations using money collected from every student through Segregated Fees.  

An organization can apply for Single-Event Funding either three times per semester or up to $2,000 per semester, whichever comes first. Once you submit your Single-Event Funding request via your organization's MyOrgs portal, you are invited to a FC meeting to discuss your request. FC members will ask you to explain your request, ask you questions about it and make a decision about funding the request. Single-Event Funding is available on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply as early as possible. Note: Requests need to be made at least 30 days prior to the need.

Please note that the FC does not fund items such as fundraisers for the organization, items that will be kept by organization members (e.g. t-shirts, books, etc.), individual meals for members during travel, transportation, prizes, awards, credit producing programs/activities, etc.

For more information about Single - Event Funding, please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

For help requesting a single-event budget, please view the how-to guide: How To Request a Single Event Budget in MyOrgs.

There are several different ways that you can raise funds for your student organization. Prior to choosing a method to fundraise it is important to understand how to hold a successful fundraiser.  

How to host a successful fundraiser: Student organizations can choose to host events to raise money for their organization or a charity of their choosing. These events can take a variety of forms and sizes. The size of an event determines how much time you should allow for planning. In all cases, we recommend you allow two to four months to plan a fundraiser. A successfully planned fundraiser can do much more than raise money - it can promote and market your student organization, as well as create pride among existing members. Please see the checklist below to ensure that you are adequately prepared to plan and execute a successful event. Please note that the Student Government Association Finance Committee does not fund fundraising.

Pre-event planning:

  • Always have a fundraising goal in mind. Having a goal can help you select the most appropriate fundraiser to meet your needs.
  • Be creative! Don't do an event that every other organization on campus is doing or this will not catch students' attention.
  • Create a fundraising budget early! If you need assistance understanding what is needed for a particular event, come see us in the Office of Student Involvement.
  • Create a timeline for your event and stick to it. The timeline will help ensure that your event is properly planned and successful.

Characteristics of successful fundraising:

  • It happens at a regular interval so students can expect it.
  • It appeals to a diverse group of students. The more people who will be interested, the better!
  • It is well advertised so students and people outside your organization know about it.
  • There is little overhead cost. These are costs that the organization must pay in order for the fundraiser to occur.
  • It highlights the talents of your group. Look at the strengths of your members and host a fundraiser that focuses on them.


Prohibited Fundraising and Data Security: Please note that any fundraiser that involves the "sale" of people or services (i.e.- date auction or service auction events) are prohibited. Although these events may not be designed to inflict harm, they do use such language and structure consistent with slavery. Such activities may intentionally or unintentionally demean students on our campus, create unsafe situations and are not consistent with UWRF institutional values.

Please note that unauthorized card readers for Point of Sale (POS) transactions are strictly prohibited. Student Organizations agree that UWRF provides only unmanaged internet connectivity to Student Organizations and that UWRF does not warrant this connectivity as appropriate or secure for the processing of payment card transactions. Both parties agree that UWRF is not acting as a Payment Card Industry (PCI) service provider for Student Organizations through the provision of said internet connectivity and Student Organizations, as the merchant of record, assume all risk, responsibility, and liability for protecting payment card data as well as for remaining compliant with the PCI Data Security Standard (DSS) and any other relevant industry standards or laws, as applicable.

Raffles: The State of Wisconsin Statutes requires all raffles to be licensed. For more information about that process, please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

Silent Auctions: According to the State of Wisconsin Statutes, silent auctions are not raffles or games of chance, so they do not require a license and are considered legal.

Food Stands: Food stands are frequently used by UWRF student organizations. While this is an effective fundraising activity it is very important that your organization know and follow proper processes and procedures related to food stands. Please see the accordion above labeled "Food Stands" for more information.

Apparel Sales: Prior to designing or selling any apparel it is important to understand the university rules that surround using the Falcon or University logo. Please note any design with the Falcon, Freddy, the UWRF logo or even the words UWRF or the University of Wisconsin-River Falls must follow the licensing guidelines for UWRF Registered Marks found here.

Please remember that anything with the UWRF logo or language on it must be appropriate because it is representing the University. Marketing and Graphics located in the University Center can help with the approval of designs containing University licensed words or images.  f you plan to design apparel, please reach out to the Office of Student Involvement.

Consider the following when creating apparel for fundraising purposes: Apparel is best if sold to existing members within a student organization. The apparel should be optional to buy and funds raised by sales should be allocated to a specific event or cause. If you are looking to sell apparel to the general campus community, be sure to take into account the overhead costs of designing and creating apparel for such a large population.

Fundraising at Local Restaurants: Some student organizations hold fundraisers at local restaurants where the organization receives a designated percentage of the sales. Please note the following when considering such a fundraiser:

  • Overhead costs to organize such a fundraiser are not funded by the FC.
  • Some restaurants require that student organization members assist on site during the fundraiser.
  • In order to fundraise at some local restaurants a tax ID number is required, please click here to contact the appropriate university personnel for assistance with this process.
  • One of the more popular options for restaurant fundraising is Buffalo Wild Wings Eat Wings, Raise Funds. Other restaurants that may have fundraising opportunities include Culver's and Chipotle.

Online Crowdfunding: Online crowdfunding is raising money by getting small donations from a large number of people. This fundraising tactic often uses online sites and social media such as Go Fund Me, etc. Please note the following when considering crowdfunding for your student organization.

  • This method is usually used to fund a large trip, program, project or purchase.
  • The most effective way to crowdfund is to have each member individually reach out to their family and friends for donations.
  • This method is especially effective with the increasing use of social media. Consider that millennials check their phones an average of 43 times per day. This means your fundraising will be sure to catch the attention of your friends and family.

Examples of websites that support crowdfunding include:   

  • Razoo
  • Kickstarter
  • Indiegogo
  • Crowdrise

Philanthropic Events: Philanthropic events are held by student organizations and usually do not require admission but donations for a charity are normally collected. Please note while the FC does not fund events that fundraise for a student organization itself, they will consider funding philanthropic events which raise money for a charity. If you have any questions regarding philanthropic events or the FC funding, please contact the Office of Student Involvement.

Please consider the following when planning a philanthropic event:

  • It is best if a fundraising event is related to your student organization's mission or cause. One good example of this is the GSA hosting the Drag Show or the Dance Team hosting Dancing with the Stars.
  • Remember you can always use other fundraising methods such as vendor tabling to get the word out on campus about your event but don't forget the number one way to market on college campuses is word of mouth.

Examples of other philanthropic events at UWRF include:

  • Take Back the Night
  • Puppy Petting
  • Dancing with the Stars

University Center Fundraising Policy: Recognized Student Organizations and university departments may use the University Center for fundraising activities. Other organizations and off-campus vendors must be sponsored by a recognized student organization or campus department and have prior approval from the Director of the University Center. Additional policies are listed below:

  • Recognized Student Organizations and university departments may sponsor three non-food fundraising events each semester with a maximum length of three days each.
  • The Director of the University Center is responsible for the approval or denial of all off-campus vendors based on the following conditions:
    •  A copy of a written agreement between the vendor and the student org is made available to the Campus Reservations office.
    • The sponsoring student organization must supply exact times/dates the vendor will be on campus. In addition, the description of merchandise, names of three references where the vendor has sold merchandise before and a list of requested equipment must be provided.
    • The name of the sponsoring organization must be clearly posted at the site of sale.
    • The sponsoring student organization is expected to be present at the time the vendor is setting up and tearing down the display.

5. Risk Reduction and Management

Student Organization Assumption of Risk: By participating in student organizations, as a member and/or as a participant, it is assumed participation is voluntary and by its very nature, carries with it certain inherent risks. Specific risks vary based upon the activity and can range from minor injuries to catastrophic accidents that can result in major injury or death. UW-River Falls encourages participants to consult with a doctor regarding any strenuous activity since no health or accident insurance is provided for student organization participants by the University of Wisconsin-River Falls or the State of Wisconsin. Participants acknowledge, understand and accept the risks that are inherent in participation in student organization activities and assert that participation is voluntary and that participants assume all such risks.

Reducing Risk of Student Organization Activities: All activities, regardless of intention, have some inherent risk. As a tool to help decrease risk associated with student organization activities, the UW-River Falls Risk Management office has developed the Risk Assessment Matrix. The matrix should be utilized as a critical part of activity planning to ensure risk in minimized. Please contact Risk Management with any specific questions or concerns.

Individual Recognized Student Organization (RSO) members and/or other student groups may be referred to the Dean of Students Office for individual student misconduct concerns under UW System Chapters 17 and 18. Please see the current Recognized Student Organization Conduct Process.

6. Student Organization Conduct Process

Individual Recognized Student Organization (RSO) members and/or other student groups may be referred to the Dean of Students Office for individual student misconduct concerns under UW System Chapters 17 and 18. Please see the current Recognized Student Organization Conduct Process.

7. Resources and How-Tos

The Involvement Center space provides student organizations with the resources to meet up, create new ideas, market organization happenings and plan for future events and meetings.

  • Use the creation station to make advertisements and recognize members
  • Talk with the students at the Involvement Center desk

Most days of the week fun and learning awaits:

  • Mini Muffin Monday: Kick off your week with FREE mini muffins in the morning!
  • M is for Monday: A new 'M' food will be featured once a month!
  • TacoBout It Tuesday: FREE Walking Tacos every last Tuesday of the month! 
  • Wednesday: Hump Day Cafe! FREE bagels and coffee every Wednesday morning!
  • Free Cookie Friday: Wrap up the week on a positive note  - who doesn't love free cookies!

Additionally the Office of Student Involvement offers a resource library related to leadership, social justice and many other topics.  All materials in this library can be checked out free of charge. A full list of programs and events hosted by the department are available at

8. Student Organization Training

Student organization training is now held via Canvas. If you are a student organization leader and do not have access to the course, please email

Student Involvement