When researching majors, careers, or graduate programs, it is always helpful for students to talk to someone who has "been there." LinkedIn is the world's largest professional network on the internet. You can use LinkedIn to find the right job or internship, connect and strengthen professional relationships and learn the skills you need to succeed in your career.
Join the UWRF Mentor Network
UWRF alumni, faculty, staff and friends of UWRF with varied majors and careers have volunteered through the Mentor Network to talk with UWRF students about their careers.
Step 1: Create a LinkedIn account, then follow University of Wisconsin-River Falls Career Services
(Tips: Build a Professional LinkedIn Profile, The Ultimate LinkedIn Cheat Sheet)
Step 2: Join the group "University of Wisconsin-River Falls Mentor Network."
(Tips: Using LinkedIn to Network Professionally)
Who are the Mentor Network Members?
The Mentor Network includes alumni, graduate students and friends/employers of the UW-River Falls community who enjoy exchanging ideas, advice and knowledge of career paths developed through their work, education and volunteer experiences.
Mentors May Be Open To:
- Discussing general career information
- Participating in an informational interview by phone, email or in-person
- Hosting a job shadow (half or full day)
- Conducting a mock interview
- Speaking at a student organization meeting or event
- Serving on a college advisory committee
- Providing a company tour
Suggested Topics for Discussion:
- Career options
- Career changes and/or relocating
- Skills required for work in your field
- Typical work-day
- Job market in your area
- Graduate school questions
- Selecting a major
- Internships or summer jobs in your field